Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Movies Alone: Yes or No?

A few weeks ago, I went to the movies by myself for the first time in my 31 years. William was off with my parents and I decided to treat myself to a movie. It was awesome! I didn't have to share my popcorn with anyone. I didn't have to accompany a certain 8-year-old to the bathroom. I just sat and watched Phelam 123 and enjoyed the hell out of it.

This week, William's been with my sister all week, so I decided to try again. This time, it was Bruno...and it didn't go as well. It was totally obvious that I was by myself. Usually, when you walk into the theater, the lights are off, so it's no big deal to be sitting by yourself. However this time, the lights were on and it seemed like there was a spotlight directly on me. Not to mention, I had a contraband cookie and diet coke that I wanted to bust out. Did I mention I was the first one in the theater, so I was kind of the center of attention before other people started filing in. But, when the lights when down, so did my crazy hyper-sensitivity and I was able to sit back and enjoy one of the best, most disturbing movies I've seen in a long time.

Other than being crazy and assuming that everyone is talking about me, the only other thing I don't like is that you don't have anyone to discuss the movie with after it's over. I guess I'm becoming a little more self-confident if I'm able to go to the movies by myself and not really care what people think (matinees only though, of course).

Have you ever been to the movies by yourself? Do you feel like everyone's talking about you? Am I crazy? (don't answer that)

6 comments:

Just call me Yankee said...

Yes, I have been to the movies by meself, though not recently. I even went to the evening show.

Unknown said...

You're very brave to go to a evening show! You go girl!

Annie said...

Of course I would go to the movies alone! Try it again and I bet it will be better!

Singlemommyhood said...

Since becoming a single mom, I've gone to MANY movies alone... and love it. Yes, it took some time to get used to it. But now I love having my popcorn to myself, and simply being alone.

It WILL get better!

Unknown said...

I hope I can get used to it...I don't think I have much of a choice!

dancingjumper said...

I love going to the movies by myself! Although some movies are better enjoyed as a group (The Hangover, anyone?), I love the alone time and not having to worry about anyone else.