Wednesday, November 21, 2007

A Lifetime of Thankful

This year, I have so much to be thankful for. It's good for the soul to recognize your blessings and let people know you're thankful for them, so here it goes:

  • My Family. I am blessed to have parents who love me and my son. Many of us think this is a given, but if you look around, it's not. I've given my parents enough reasons to throw their hands up at me and give up, but they never have. I also have a sister who I love dearly and speak to about 5 times a week. We had our differences growing up, so I'm particularly appreciative of our relationship now.
  • My Son. I didn't really want to be a mother, but you do what you have to...and I'm so glad I did. This child brings me endless joy and has fulfilled me in a way I never expected. Since it's just the two of us, we don't really have a choice but to be each other's constant companion. I wouldn't choose anyone else.
  • My Friends. I have the world's best friends. I have several friends that I've known since grade school and high school that are still my best friends in the world. I feel fortunate to have such strong bonds with such wonderful friends. I have a few friends from college who I still talk to on a weekly basis. I'm a lucky girl.
  • My Home. I know you're not supposed to be thankful for material goods, but I love my house. I love what it stands for, I love that I did it myself, I love that everything in it is a deliberate decision on my part, I love that it's mine, I love that I don't have to clean it if I don't want to, I love that my dad didn't want me to buy it, but he helps me all the time and I'm sure he's secretly proud of me.
  • My Grandpa. Most of you know, but for those who don't, my Grandpa was diagnosed with stomach cancer and it spread. He's opted not to treat it because the odds that it will get to the cancer in the stomach are not good. My Grandpa is what's good with this world: he was a lawyer, then an FBI Agent, then a Judge. He gives his time and talents to good causes, he loves my Grandma, and he loves all of us, despite our faults. I'm so proud of my Grandpa and I don't want to lose him, but I'm proud of the way he's handled this. I know grandpa's are supposed to die at some time, but the thought of loosing mine takes my breath away and I can't bear to think about it. I only hope that I can live my life with the dignity and class that he exemplifies.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

No comments: