Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Simon Cowell of Our Family

Do you ever notice on American Idol how when Simon says something negative, most of the time, people are like "Well, that's your opinion!" or the crowd boo's him? But, when he says something positive, they all take it to heart? That's because he doesn't compliment people unnecessarily and he means what he says (unlike crazy Paula - who isn't as crazy as I'd like her to be this season). To me, if you're going to bask in the good, you've got to accept the negative as well. Even though we'd all like to live in the good and ignore the negative, that's just not the way it works.

I'd say my dad is the Simon Cowell of our family. He's pleasant, funny, and usually fun to be around. But he's not going to blow smoke up your ass or tell you everything is rainbows and butterflies. When he says something, he means it. So, when he told me the other night that he's impressed by the way I keep in touch with my old friends, it meant something. He doesn't compliment me often, so I'll take it where I can get it!

Do you have a "Simon Cowell" in your life? I'm sure you do.

No comments: